Monday, May 4, 2009

Have you changed your Asian name yet?


State Rep. Betty Brown, made a bold statement on April 7Th , Tuesday.
Rather than everyone here having to learn Chinese — I understand it’s a rather difficult language — do you think that it would behoove you and your citizens to adopt a name that we could deal with more readily here?” Brown said. Really? Did she really just say that??!
Can’t you see that this is something that would make it a lot easier for you and the people who are poll workers if you could adopt a name just for identification purposes that’s easier for Americans to deal with?” Brown continued.
The Texas Democratic Party soon asked Brown to apologize for her remark, who was brought forth by Ramey Ko, a representative of the Organization of Chinese Americans. During a hearing about voter identification legislation.
Ko explained in the hearing that Asian Americans have issues with their ID cards because of
they may have legal transliterated names as well as common English names on their ID.

To top it off , Brown made a comment yesterday in regards to accusing democrats making the issue all about race. A little per turd are we?
Well, what comes to my mind is does having the issue of transliterated names along with English names on a ID card don't have anything to do with on how well a person or a "American" can pronounce it. It is the defect in a faulty system.
"
As I stated in my testimony, Asian Americans often encounter problems voting in states with ID laws because of mismatches between the name on the required ID and the voter rolls." said Ko in his blog Texas Weekly.
It beings a unpleasant feeling that it's
simpletons like Brown , who represent Texas. Ugh, god.

Links:

AP: http://www.statesman.com/news/content/region/legislature/stories/04/12/0412asian.html

Think Progrees: http://thinkprogress.org/2009/04/09/brown-asian-names/

Ramesy Ko: http://texasweekly.com/node/3804

Pacific Citzen: http://www.pacificcitizen.org/site/details/tabid/55/selectmoduleid/373/ArticleID/242/reftab/36/Default.aspx?title=Texas_Rep._Betty_Brown_Apologies_for_Remarks_on_Asian_Names

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ideology.

somewhere in the, tejas
My name is Sarah Carpenter, I view myself as and independent leaning to the left a bit. I'm taking this class to futher my knowledge of texas government. I also want to prove to others that the difference between me and other "young voters" , I know what I'm voting for and why. In better words: I don't vote stupid. Not only that, it's very naive to not know anything about your own state's government. I don't have much political backgorund, but i am very opinionated when it comes to war, congress, and gay civil rights. I have a strong interest in history when it comes to wars such as the one in Veitnam and the times of the civil rights movement. So hopfully people can gain an insight into what I beleive and think, Hopfully I won't offend anyone.